Rasbora borapatensis

Rasbora profiles, articles and other useful informations.

Moderator: forum moderators

Rasbora borapatensis

Postby Mad Duff » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:26 am

Common Name: Red Tailed Rasbora

Scientific name: Rasbora Borapatensis

Family: Cyprinidae

Origin: SE Asia: Thailand, Western Malaysia

Size: 40mm to 50mm

Care: These fish enjoy a densely planted aquarium with plenty of free swimming space, they do not like strong sunlight and aquarium lighting should be diffused using floating plants. A temperature range of 22’C to 26’C is acceptable, they are not fussy where pH is concerned and will accept anything from 6.4 up to 7.2.

Feeding: Most dried foods are accepted like flakes, pellets etc but bloodworms, midge larvae, tubifex worms and daphnia should be a big part of their diet be it live or frozen.

Sexing and Breeding: Females are fuller bodied than the males, pairs or groups should be given a small densely lit aquarium for spawning purposes. Males will wind himself around the female as she lays the eggs, only half a dozen eggs will be laid each time and after 3 or 4 goes it is they will have finished, an average spawning will not produce more than 40 to 50 eggs. The fish should be removed from the spawning tank immediately as both sexes will eat the eggs.

Comments: Peaceful community fish that will thrive with other Rasboras, Danios and most smaller barbs.

Mad Duff

Re: Rasbora borapatensis

Postby ying » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:35 am

Great write up :)
ying
Site Admin

Postby stylesformiles » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:40 am

i was going to get a shoal of these, but i decided to get a bigger shoal of R. Rubrodorsalis instead, they're very similar only the Rubrodorsalis are a bit smaller and have a red patch at the base of the dorsal fin. the shop i bought the Rubrodorsalis from had them labelled as red-tailed rasbora though. i've always known the Borapetensis as blackline rasbora. they were my original first choice though
stylesformiles

Postby Mad Duff » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Rubrodorsalis and Borapatensis are very similar and make a very nice mixed shoal.
Mad Duff

Return to Profiles and Articles