Breeding Microrasbora Erythromicron and CPDs...?

Post all your questions and comments related to breeding rasbora here.

Moderator: forum moderators

Breeding Microrasbora Erythromicron and CPDs...?

Postby dxiong5 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi, has anyone had success breeding either the Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora Erythromicron), or the Celestial Pearl Danio?
I set up two 2.5 gallon tanks for 1 pair of each with a baseball size clump of java moss on the bottom and left them there for a week. No filter or aeration, just a cover with a slight opening. What are my chances of success?

Before I had 5 CPDs in a planted 10 gallon with some Red Cherry Shrimp. When I removed the CPDs, I found five CPD fry! Maybe I will go this route again if I'm not successful with the 2.5 gallons.

I will keep you updated.
dxiong5

Re: Breeding Microrasbora Erythromicron and CPDs...?

Postby Mad Duff » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:31 pm

Both species are fairly easy to spawn and spawning reports are increasing all the time.

They do best in slightly bigger tanks than you have them in and I wouldn't really go below 10 gallon to be honest and need aeration at least if not filtration, a decent group and plenty of moss will help. The parents tend not to eat eggs to ravenously so fry will usually survive and can either be left or removed to separate tanks when seen, the problem most encountered seems to be keeping temperatures below 25'C as neither species seems to do well above that

Both species are currently considered to be from the Danio family.
Mad Duff

Postby dxiong5 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:44 pm

Thanks Mad Duff. I've read that the adults will eat the eggs/fry, that's why I removed them; will keep them in next time and provide plenty of plants for the fry and set up separate species tanks for them. Haha, I'm posting about Danios in a Rasbora forum, sorry. I didn't know that Microrasbora Erythromicron was classified as a Danio. I also have several Asian Rummynoses (Sawbwa Resplendens), do they have similar breeding behaviors? (Sorry again about not sticking to rasboras).
dxiong5

Postby Mad Duff » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:41 am

Some people remove the adults a couple of days after spawning, some remove the eggs by using spawning mops and some just leave them, its all down to personal choice but the best way to maximise fry numbers would be to use spawning mops or replace the java moss each day.

Don't worry about the Danio thing at the rate these fish change names they could well be Rasbora's again soon :lol: but they are still commonly sold as Rasbora's.

Sawbwa resplendens again fairly easy to get spawning once the adults are in peak condition, they should be kept at higher ph of 7.0 to 8.0 Lake Inle is quite alkaline as it lies over calciferous rock. Pretty much the same as the others for a spawning tank, plenty of fine leaved plants and moss and a small air powered sponge filter, Sawbwa resplendens do prefer some surface cover so something like duckweed would be a good addition. Always try and keep more females than males because the males can get quite aggressive at spawning time.
Mad Duff

Postby ferreter » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi,
I saw two of these swimming around with some black neon tetra at the LFS, the guy was still trying to work out what the castaways where when I offered to buy them off him. He sold them to me for £1 each before I told him what they where as I've been looking for them for the best part of a year now & I've yet to find any others in my area.
I've set them up in a 35l tank with just an air filter and no gravel or decorations for the minute. The temp is set to 24c and the tap water reads 7.6 around here.
I've got a lump of bogwood covered in java moss and a few marimo balls in my community tank which I can move over to the tank but I'd like to know if I'm flogging a dead horse since I only have a pair of them
ferreter

Postby Mad Duff » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:22 am

You could be lucky enough to have a pair so in time and once in condition they may spawn, if they have come in once there is a chance it could happen again so you may be lucky again.

Where abouts are you located ?

One of our members may know a shop that has some that isnt to far away from you.
Mad Duff

Postby dxiong5 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:52 pm

Success! I have finally bred Microrasbora Erythromicron. I lost my original colony and was finally able to get a group of 6 (3m, 3f) last month. I had a trio in a 20 gallon long and recently took out the male, leaving the females in it. So far, I have collected 22 fry in which I placed in a specimen container hanging inside the tank. I am currently feeding them paramecia, microworms, and bbs. I will set up three 2.5 gallon tanks for each pair and start a breeding project.

I'm still trying to source some CPDs in the US. That will be my next project along with Sawbwa Resplendens (if I can find any females).
dxiong5

Postby Mad Duff » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:36 am

Congratulations on the spawning ;)

I hope you are lucky in your search for the CPD's and Sawbwa females.
Mad Duff

Return to Breeding