Breeding R. Vulcanus

Post all your questions and comments related to breeding rasbora here.

Moderator: forum moderators

Breeding R. Vulcanus

Postby Jason » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:02 am

My wife bought me eleven Rasbora vulcanus from a local fish store for my birthday. I thought they would be a fun challenge to try to breed. When I got them home I placed them in a dedicated 20 gallon long tank with no light fixture. The tank has gravel for substrate and a large clump of Java moss for breeding. I keep the water temperature at around 76 degrees Fahrenheit, and I use RO water reconstituted with tap to bring the GH/KH to around 4ppm.

The first few months were uneventful, I feed them standard flake and occasional feedings of live mosquito larvae. After having them for around three months the females became very plump and easy to sex.

Then, one night I came home in the evening and found my Rasboras spawning. One female had become overly aggressive and had the shoal hiding behind the heater in the corner of the tank. One male would follow her to the other end of the tank, where the Java moss was, and the two embraced inside the clump of moss. They repeated this several times while I watched. Unfortunately, I did not have the time to watch the two finish spawning or to try save the resulting eggs. Instead, I returned in the morning, siphon in hand, and I removed the Java moss and thoroughly siphoned the area where they spawned into a 12 quart dishpan. Afterwards, I placed the dishpan into the R. vulcanus brood tank. (Sterilite brand 12 quart dishpans fit perfectly inside 20 gallon long tanks and make great nursery tanks.)

At first I thought the parents had eaten all of their eggs, because the eggs were very hard to see. They are perfectly clear and are very tiny. I counted around twenty eggs. The eggs started to hatch two days after spawning. The resulting fry secured themselves to surfaces in the nursery tank. They looked like clear round eggs with tiny tails. Three days later the fry released themselves and became free swimming and I counted around fifty fry. At this stage, I started feeding them infusoria several times a day.

For the next three weeks, I fed them infusoria and cyclops nauplii, but heir growth has been very slow and uneven. Some fry grew quickly while others barely grew at all. Fortunately they all seem big enough to eat brine shrimp now. So, I plan to start feeding them brine shrimp this week and hopefully they will grow much faster.
Jason

Re: Breeding R. Vulcanus

Postby musa » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:16 pm

Awesome, thanks for sharing your experience Jason. I bet your wife is very happy that you were able to breed her birthday gift :). What are you planning to do when they grow up? fifty is quite a tank-full! Could you post some pics of the fries?
musa

Postby Jason » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:57 pm

It's still a bit early to plan on what to do with them, since I could still kill them all. But, if I do raise them successfully I will probably try to sell them to several local fish shops. I have a feeling these will be a difficult sell. The shops buy bread-and-butter fish from me without hesitation, but when I bring in odd fish to sell--they usually don't want to buy them. If that's the case, I will have to sell them on aquabid.

rasbora_vulcanus.jpg
Rasbora vulcanus larva at 3dph
rasbora_vulcanus.jpg (63 KiB) Viewed 4639 times

As for more pictures... you'll have to be patient my camera is an antique. Once they're bigger I'll be able to take better photos.
Jason

Postby musa » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:29 pm

That's a cute little fry :) I hope you'll be able to raise all of them to adult. Maybe you can sell them back to the same shop telling them that you bought their parents from them.
musa

Postby ying » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Congrats Jason. I hope all goes well with the fries. Please keep us updated.
ying
Site Admin

Return to Breeding