Advice for breeding B.brigittae

Post all your questions and comments related to breeding rasbora here.

Moderator: forum moderators

Advice for breeding B.brigittae

Postby Indychus » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:17 am

Hello, I am new here and looking for some advice.

I have a population of Chili Rasbora (Boraras brigittae) in a densely planted 55g tank. Tankmates are a pair of male dwarf gourami, an unknown number of otocinclus, a few hara jerdoni, and a lot of inverts (ramshorn, pond snail, rcs, Harris crab, etc.). Occasionally some corydoras or various cichlid fry are in the tank to grow out some before being reintroduced to my main tank.

My chili rasbora population is self-sustaining... That is, I have had a few fry grow successfully to adulthood, and I have lost several fish, but their numbers always remain constant. There are always between 12-15 of them in the tank. They have maintained these numbers for around 4 years without much intervention on my part.

I would love to grow the population to 20-30 or more fish, but have not had any luck increasing their numbers. I tried moving some of the mature fish to a quarantine tank to breed, but I think the stress of the move preventing any mating as I never saw any eggs over a two week period.

My water is soft, ph around 6.5, lots of ground cover and plants for young fry to hide in, temp stays pretty constant at around 78F.

What can I do to get more fry?

Return to Breeding