rasbora vulcanus

General rasbora discussion.

Moderator: forum moderators

rasbora vulcanus

Postby helen nightingale » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:14 am

i just got some of these beautuful rasboras. does anyone know much about them? Good information seems thin on the ground. i shall have to track down Tan's paper on them.
helen nightingale

Re: rasbora vulcanus

Postby ying » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi Helen,

Unfortunately, Vulcanus is not even mentioned in the rasbra book "Rasboras - Keeping & Breeding them in captivity" by DR. Martin R. Brittan. Finding a decent information about a rasbora is like finding a needle in the haystack right now. I hope it will be much easier once the forum takes off...
ying
Site Admin

Postby Mad Duff » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:08 am

Vulcanus is thought to be closely related to R. reticulata which has an almost identical patterning on the body but lacks the red/orange colouration of the R. vulcanus. As with pretty much all other rasboras the males have more intense colouration when in spawning condition and females are heavier bodied.
Mad Duff

Postby ying » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:53 am

Cool, I figure if anyone knows if would be you Mad Duff :) .
ying
Site Admin

Postby helen nightingale » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:31 pm

Mad Duff, do you have any idea whether there is any truth behind the suggestion that only males are being imported?
helen nightingale

Postby Mad Duff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:12 am

It is a distinct possibility that most shops only receive males because they are the ones that carry the most colour, a bit like the situation with New Guinea Red Rainbows in that very few shops get females because they are a dull silver grey and don't sell as well as the males. Females tend to be deeper bodied and paler in colour so if they are there they should be fairly easy to pick out.
Mad Duff

Postby Jason » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:14 am

I have a bunch of R. vulcanus right now. They took about 3 months to mature. At first I couldn't tell the difference between the sexes but now it's easy. The females develop the typical cyprinid potbellied look. They also seem pretty straight forward to breed using Java moss as the breeding substrate. I have about fifty fry right now and they are about two weeks old. If anyone is interested I could post something about it in the breeding section.
Jason

Postby musa » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi Jason, I would love to see your post about breeding vulcanus. The name reminded me of startrek vulcan so I bought some a few days ago when I was at the local store :mrgreen: . I've been searching the net for the info and it seems you are the only person who have bred them successfully - congrats!
musa

Postby Mad Duff » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:50 am

Well done Jason, it would be great if you could put a more detailed post in the breeding section :)
Mad Duff

Postby Jason » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Thanks, musa and Mad Duff. I'll post some of my observations on the breeding forum.
Jason

Return to General Discussion