Hello

General rasbora discussion.

Moderator: forum moderators

Hello

Postby waterfaller1 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:29 am

Hello! I look forward to this site getting in full swing. I started keeping the blue & the red form of Axelrod's rasboras several months ago. The blues are my favorite. They have colored up to a stunning blue color. I noticed you had them listed separate, are they not considered a true rasbora?
waterfaller1

Re: Hello

Postby Mad Duff » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:43 am

The Rasbora axelrodi have larger multicuspid tubercles along the lower jaw similar to small danios like Zebra Danio's so this species could well be a danione and not Rasbora, very similar to the Microgalaxy Rasbora which eventually turned out to be Celestial Pearl Danio.
Mad Duff

Postby ying » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi waterfaller1,

Welcome to Rasboras.com :)

As Mad Duff said before, Axelrod's rasbora does not belong to genus 'rasbora'. It was initially described as a 'rasbora' but later changed to genus 'Sundadanio'. It's like Galaxy rasbora which was initially introduced as a 'rasbora' and later changed to something else but the original name is still commonly used.

How many do you have in your tank? I think it's an awesome fish but my local fish store never carries them :x .
ying
Site Admin

Postby waterfaller1 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:21 pm

Thank you for the welcome. Well, I just think they are wonderful..and more people would want them if they could see them in person, in their own tank, after they get over the stress. They are magnificent. I have a guy that I asked to get some who is now carrying them if you would like the info. I will be getting some more from him this week. I have only two blues, and four reds. They are in my 10 gal, which is being upgraded to a 20L. I have everything now to do it, just have to get in the 'scaping mood" :mrgreen:
waterfaller1

Postby Mad Duff » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:56 am

They are stunning fish which isnt often seen over here in the UK, I have been wanting a group of Sawba resplendens for some time now and a particular shop got them in along with some Rasbora axelrodi but I had just bought a large group of Rasbora wilpita at the time which was another species on my most wanted list.
Mad Duff

Postby ying » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks for the info. I know of some websites that carry them but shipping would cost more than the fish...
ying
Site Admin

Postby stylesformiles » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:49 pm

i recently joined this site, but only just bought my first shoal of rasboras (r. rubrodorsalis) so thought i should say hi and introduce myself.

my new additions are tiny at the moment, but i'm working on getting hold of some decent pics

i've been after a few different types of rasbora for a while now, but it's proved quite hard to find them! which i think is a shame, they're hugely under rated fish!

steve
stylesformiles

Postby Mad Duff » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:17 pm

Welcome to Rasboras.com Steve, yeah its a real shame that Rasboras are such under rated fish, they really do deserve more popularity.
Mad Duff

Return to General Discussion