id - elegans group?

General rasbora discussion.

Moderator: forum moderators

id - elegans group?

Postby blackghost » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi folks,
Newbie here, although I've kept fish for nearly 40 years, and love - along with many other fish from right across the board - Razzies.

I have 2 of these...(not my pic)

...and 1 which is 'the same' except the black line is not wider at the front.

Now the questions............

:?: Is the fish in the picture R. bunguranensis?
:?: Is the other one R. spilotaenia?
:?: Are they being farmed together? Strange (to me) if they are, as these 2 have limited ranges. The reason I ask this is that my LFS ordered R. elegans, and recieved a bag containing all 3 species (mine were the last three to be sold, so I 'rescued' them).

blackghost

Re: id - elegans group?

Postby Mad Duff » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:28 am

The fish in that pic for me is most likely Rasbora pavei, the other fish could be Rasbora semilineata. There are several species along with pavei that fall into the elegans/sumatrana complex and they all have regional/location variations, I have several Rasboras of this comlex, a couple like that pic and a couple with a longer line that stops short of the tail (pos laticlavia) one that has a sopt at the tail and triangle at the gill end of the line (pos hobelmani) and a single sumatrana but they do all look very similar.
Mad Duff

Re: id - elegans group?

Postby blackghost » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:17 pm

Ok, so my second port of call was Fishbase. It's description of R. pavei seems to be a pretty much exact match to my second sp - the one with the thin black line, which also has the diamond-shaped spot on the peduncle that FB mentions.

There arent many pictures available of most Rasboras. Would you happen to know of any good sources? And where I can get a pic of R. bunguranensis? (the pic in the first post was labelled as such, but that might mean nothing). :)
blackghost

Return to General Discussion