Phylogenetic Analysis Of The Genus Rasbora

General rasbora discussion.

Moderator: forum moderators

Phylogenetic Analysis Of The Genus Rasbora

Postby Mad Duff » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:58 am

It seem that a lot of work has been carried out by Te Yu Liao, Sven O. Kullander & Fang Fang into the genus Rasbora and changes have been made, apparently Rasbora brittani is now Kottelatia brittani (monotypic genus), R. dorsiocellata is Brevibora dorsiocellata (monotypic as well), R. spilocerca is now Rasbosoma spilocerca (monotypic) and R. pauciperforata and gracilis have been moved into Trigonopoma (new genus).

Abstract:
A phylogenetic analysis was conducted based on 35 cyprinid taxa, including 29 species of Rasbora, and 41 morphological characters. A strict consensus tree from four equally parsimonious trees recovered rasborins as a monophyletic group characterized by (i) presence of dark supra-anal pigment and subpeduncular streak, (ii) 5–6 branched anal-fin rays, (iii) dorsal-fin insertion 1–3 scales behind pelvic-fin insertion, (iv) lateral process of second vertebra more or less straight, (v) 1–5 more abdominal than caudal vertebrae, (vi) absence of foramen in anterior wall of horizontal limb of the cleithrum, (vii) presence of rasborin process on epibranchial 4, and (viii) interhyal well ossified. Rasbora sensu stricto can be distinguished from all other rasborin genera by the presence of an opercular canal. Four new genera, viz. Brevibora, n. gen., Kottelatia, n, gen., Rasbosoma, n. gen. and Trigonopoma, n. gen., are recognized and described.
Mad Duff

Re: Phylogenetic Analysis Of The Genus Rasbora

Postby musa » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:17 pm

It looks like Rasbora is loosing its members again. Galaxy rasbora is a very good looking fish and pauciperforata looks pretty nice too. With the way it's going soon the only one left will be the dull grey/silver ones. I don't know if it's sad or funny about the fact that many of the highly popular rasboras like harlequin or galaxy rasbora are not actually rasbora.
musa

Postby Mad Duff » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:50 am

I think from day one it was recognised by lots of people that Galaxy Rasbora was just a trade name and the fish was always going to be classified as a species of Danio, as for the others they are all still Rasbora's as is but just wont carry the scientific name of Rasbora. There have been a few of us that have been saying for a long time that work needs to be done with regards to Rasbora's as majority of the info available is so out dated, unfortunately when the work has been started a lot don't like the inevitable outcome, I think some of it could be tinkering for tinkering sake but if it helps get info out there and raise the profile of the species as a whole then it can only be a good thing - hopefully :?
Mad Duff

Postby ying » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:04 pm

I like the "dull grey/silver ones" as much as the colorful ones. I think they are more natural looking :).
ying
Site Admin

Postby Mad Duff » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:37 am

Yeah I agree the silver Rasbora species or "dull" Rasboras as a friend of mine used to call them have equally as much appeal about them as the more colourful species, I am lucky enough to have adult R. myersi in the same tank as adult R. wilpita and a healthy myersi is simply stunning, initially they just look silver but when they turn and the light catches them the olives, blues and even purple shades in their scales are a sight to behold.

I have several adult R. rasbora and they do get duller as they get older, mine are more a dull grey now rather than their original shiny silver but the yellow colour and black border in their tail doesn't seem to fade at all and they are still stunning fish.
Mad Duff

Postby mollyboy13 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:49 am

This is the first time I've seen others share my appreciation for silver rasboras (Ying and Mad Duff). One aquarium book spend its entire (brief) text on R. myersi trashing the fish's appearance!
Thanks for this posting this analysis abstract, and for your comments on R. rasbora (elsewhere).
mollyboy13

Postby Mad Duff » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:52 pm

I think there are my loaches and Koi that I like as much as my Rasbora's, it is strange because I dont even know what it is about Rasboras but I have always really liked them and have pretty much always had at least seven different species at any one time and at least half of those have been the "silver" species.

It is hard to find like minded people when it comes to Rasboras, they area much maligned species :(
Mad Duff

Return to General Discussion