Rasbora tornieri

Rasbora profiles, articles and other useful informations.

Moderator: forum moderators

Rasbora tornieri

Postby Mad Duff » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:49 am

Common Name: Golden Stripe Rasbora

Scientific name: Rasbora tornieri

Family: Cyprinidae

Origin: Asia, Thailand, Burma, Western India, Sri Lanka

Size: 100mm to 120mm

Care: A well planted tank with plenty of open swimming space is needed for these very active shoaling fish, they tend to like brighter lighting and direct sunlight which is the opposite of most of the larger Rasboras. Ideal ph levels would be around 7 with an ideal temperature range of 24’C to 26’C. A group of at least 4 specimens should be kept as fish kept on their own tend not to do well.

Feeding: Most dried foods are accepted like flakes, pellets etc but bloodworms, midge larvae, tubifex worms and daphnia should be a big part of their diet be it live or frozen.

Sexing and Breeding: Males tend to be smaller and slender with more yellow or red in the stomach area, females are larger more robust fish with a more white stomach area. Breeding is fairly easy considering these are larger Rasboras, a large breeding tank is required with plenty of fine leaved plants that either reach the water’s surface or are floated on the water’s surface. The fish will spawn in the early morning and the young will hatch after 3 to 4 days, which can be fed on either newly hatched brine shrimp or Cyclops nauplii after another 3 days. Development and growth of R. tornieri fry is quite fast.

Comments: Ideal fish for a large community tank with species of Danio and Barbs.

Mad Duff

Re: Rasbora tornieri

Postby ying » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:16 pm

Nice write up :) .

I've seen several pictures of Tornieri and some of them have the black bordered tail like the drawing in the attachment and some of them don't. Yours doesn't have it and the wild Tornieri on this page doesn't have it either http://www.geocities.com/rasbora2004/rasbora.html .But the one in my rasbora book and another wild Tornieri picture on this page has a black bordered tail http://www.ibanorum.netfirms.com/baram-sibu.htm
Any thoughts on it?
Attachments
black bordered tail.jpg
black bordered tail.jpg (14.38 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
ying
Site Admin

Postby Mad Duff » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:46 pm

The fish in my photo's do have the black markings they just don't show up very well in those pictures, I will try and get a couple of better photo's.

I think the black marking to the outside edge of the tail becomes more apparent as the fish get older and I have also noticed in mine that the females tend to have darker tail markings than the males, I think the black markings are the first to go when the fish are stressed and their colour's fade.
Mad Duff

Postby ying » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:45 pm

Thanks, that explains it.
ying
Site Admin

Return to Profiles and Articles